Friday, June 25, 2010

Curriculum Choices for 4th/ 5th Grade

I have seen something like this on other blogs so I thought I would share my plans for my oldest also. The list is not complete, I am still looking at and trying to make some decisions for some subjects.

Theology

100 Bible Stories
Catechism
Memory Work
Concordia Publishing House

Language Arts

Language Mechanic
Editor in Chief
Both from The Critical Thinking Company

Building Spelling Skills
Evan Moor

Literature will be a book list I have put together from several sources

Writing with Ease
Peace Hill Press


Social Studies

American History
Various Resources, mainly library books

Daily Geography
Europe
Both from Evan Moor

Foreign Language

Prima Latina (finish)
Latina Christiana
Memoria Press

Math

To Be Determined


Science

Discovery Works
Concordia Publishing House


We also use a lot of library books for all of the subjects, both to introduce and reinforce ideas and concepts presented in the main texts. We also make lapbooks. They are used mainly to review the concepts, rather than paper and pencil tests. We have also done several to study topics of interest that may not necessarily fit into a subject category. We have also used them to keep in a learning mode, but relax from our regular routine.

I also would like to do some notebooking, but neither of my children really care to write, so we will see how that goes.

My Daughter takes Piano lessons, so we count that as music. We have also listened to the Classical Kids series of CDs. This year I hope to do a little more study of music: instruments as well as composers. I would like to so some Art Appreciation. I think we may start this by doing a lapbook. We will probably also do hands on art projects

Wow! I am getting tired just looking at that list. (Big Smiley)

I will post choices for my 1st grader in a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment