Monday, August 29, 2011

Homeschool Mothers Journal Weekly Review 8/28




In my life this week…

I don't think I had a life.  I spent most of my free time working on school stuff.

This weekend I ended up with Strep throat.

On a more positive note, I won a Starbucks gift card from the library in a drawing for all their adult summer reading program participants.  I won a grammar book in a fellow bloggers giveaway.  This will be great for us this year.  I needed a grammar resource without a lot of cost.  I plan to have my daughter review it periodically in place of a formal grammar program.

In our homeschool this week…

We spent the week reviewing grammar.  We used several review products also, but focused on grammar.  By doing this I will not focus as much on grammar with my 10 year old this year and the concepts won't be totally new to my 7 year old.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Both of the children had piano lessons and we went to the library.


My favorite thing this week was…

Watching my 7 year old son learn how to jump rope.  He really didn't do much jumping at the beginning of the week and by the end he was able to do 6-8 jumps before loosing rhythm.

What’s working/not working for us…

It was kind of fun to focus on one topic this week.  I did some teaching, they showed me what they knew via worksheets and then they/we played some games.
Focusing on specific topics seems to be an easier way to get back into the swing of things after a break. 

Questions/thoughts I have…

I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate some writing lessons into my plans.  I am looking for something that is fairly interesting and free.


Things I’m working on…

Finishing up my curriculum plans for this year after having to make some major changes. This is mainly history and science resources. 
  


I’m reading…

Still reading things from my basement.



Thanks to Sue at the Homeschool Chick for hosting HSMJ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment