Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homeschool Mothers Journal Weekly Review 10/15


In my life this week…
I took some time to read a book that I wanted to, just for me, because I saw it at the library and didn't have to wait for it on the hold list.It was a nice break from the reading I've been doing as I declutter.

In our homeschool this week…
Our library has kits they call touch kits.  These are tubs filled with many objects related to a specific topic.  This week we had one about art in the Ancient World.   It contained several coins, an ancient lamp, a couple small vases (one beautifully decorated), a small weaponry knife, a bust of Zeus, a model of a cat from ancient Chinese art, and tiny mummy figures that were replicas of those put in tombs. There were also gorgeous posters of a mummy and a Roman urn and a time line covering 3000BC to about 100 AD.  Also in the kit was a tape with several fascinating stories like the Epic of Gilgamesh and Remus and Romulus.  
Both of the children loved this and were enthralled with it.  We spent several hours over the course of several days exploring all these treasures.

I am inspired by…
The days of slightly cooler weather have gotten me thinking about getting out cuddly blankets.
 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We had the opportunity to go to the homeschool class at our library.  This month's topic was Christopher Columbus.  The children made telescopes and little boats. Don't have a boat here and I am not going to try to find one in the dark in their rooms.  Maybe next week I can share the picture.

They also had piano lessons.  Daughter is making great progress on Minuet in G and a Sonatina.  She also received several new pieces.

My favorite thing this week was…
I think it was the art kit from the library.
What’s working/not working for us…
My 10 year old is having a tough time with  multiplication.

Narration is one of their least favorite things to do. Maybe it always has been, been I think its benefit is far too great to drop it.

Questions/thoughts I have…
 I keep wondering where the days and weeks go.  I'm sitting here on Sunday night finishing up loose ends from last week and doing this.  I really should be finalizing plans for this next week.
Seriously, I am still thinking about how I can make learning more engaging for my 7 year old.  He is certainly capable, but doesn't want to work or show me what he knows and learns.

I’m reading…
 1225 Christmas Tree Lane by Debbie Macomber 

Thanks to Sue at Homeschool Chick for hosting Homeschool Mothers Journal.

2 comments:

  1. Martha, those touch kits sound great. I wonder if they do inter-library loans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to your blog through the social studies review. I noticed on another blog for those scott foresman hpmeschool reviews that a mom recommended mathrider.com for add subtract divide and multiply review. I signed up for the 7 day free trial. It is a horse riding game. Denise

    ReplyDelete